about 1 month ago
FIRE SAFETY & EMERGENCY EXPERT
Reporting to the Rail Safety Manager and working closely with all the directors, the Fire Safety & Emergency Expert is responsible for:
- The overall lead and management of clear consistent and quality fire safety & emergency management, repairs and improvements, on a strategic and operational level
- Ensuring the business meet both statutory and non-statutory fire safety responsibilities in relation to legislation and associated building and railway regulations
- Provide a professional advisory service, embracing all areas of fire safety & emergency management.
The duties to be performed by the Fire Safety & Emergency Expert include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure the effective delivery of all fire safety works are completed to a high level of customer satisfaction, to a standard of legal compliance. Providing assurance to the Head of RQHSE and Executive Management team on all fire safety compliance matters
- Manage the fire & emergency risk assessment programmes and ensure robust systems are in place for appropriate fire safety with all asset register items included
- Provide leadership and expert technical knowledge to manage compliance of all aspects of fire safety and emergency across all assets, ensuring that the services are maintained and improved
- Assist in procurement of contractors for fire safety and emergency works, drafting work specifications and quality standards where needed. Participate on tender of valuation and contractor selection as required. Providing on going advice on the competency of contractors to undertake works and ensuring robust contract management of the selected contractors by monitoring quality of work to determine compliance with fire safety legislation and guidance.
- Ensure fire & emergency risk assessments, inspections and audits across all stock, including retailer premises, and workplaces are undertaken. Develop and implement fire safety emergency plans and procedures for all commercial and workplace premises.
- Establish mechanisms to manage and maintain property information for all aspects of building works relating to fire to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Prepare fire safety reports and statistical information for Management and Executive committees as required.
- Develop and establish working relationships with Fire Safety and Emergency authorities (Qatar Civil Defense, Hamad Medical Corporation Ambulance Services). Design in collaboration with QR customer interaction and fire safety awareness programmes
- To assist the Railway Safety manager in liaising with external enforcement bodies where appropriate to explain protective and preventative measures being taken to control risk and to discuss, options / actions for meeting statutory and legislative duties.
- Keep up to date with all changes in building regulations, policies and best practice, research new building products and ensure we are compliant with legislation and good practice.
- Ensure complete and proper investigations are carried out into incidents and serious near-misses linked to the scope of activity
- Carry out other duties commensurate with the nature of the post of Fire Safety & Emergency Manager as directed by the Safety manager.
- Maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations and good practice requirements throughout the company.
- Develop and implement licensing arrangements for maintenance contractors and external utility companies.
- Represent the business in local safety standard developments or regulation evolutions with authorities.
- A bachelor's/Master's degree
- Professional safety accreditation preferred
- Experience in mobilization of resource/ Activities is a plus
- Arabic language skills an advantage
- Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation and regulation for managing fire safety and emergency
- 5 - 10 years’ experience in fire safety & emergency management
- Experience in the rail transportation preferred
- Experience of working with Fire and Rescue Services
- Knowledge of all aspects of the building construction and maintenance industries including the design process, contractual matters and legislation.
- Knowledge of specific standards, norms relating to Fire Safety & Emergency perimeter, including but not limited to: NFPA standards, European regulations for guided public transport
- Proven investigation and inspection skills with knowledge of best practice methodologies
- Well-developed communication skills with proven ability to influence at senior management level
- Proven experience of managing contractors and/or retailers developing successful relationships, achieving challenging targets and objectives
- Experience of delivering training
- High degree of interpersonal skills with strong leadership experience
- Evidence of continued professional, technical and personal development
- Ability to produce, read and interpret documents such as safety rules, procedures and guidelines